Translate



Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Book Review | Rivers of London

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would do a book review for you all today. This review is on Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.


The story begins with Peter, a young police officer in London who, one evening, meets Nicholas Wallpenny, a ghost from the past who claims to have witnessed a crime. Suddenly his life is turned upside down as strange criminal events start occurring all over the city. He then meets Inspector Nightingale who becomes his mentor and teaches him the art of magic. Could this help explain the weird events and happenings in Peter's life? 




I really enjoyed this book. It's quite different to my normal book choice as I don't usually go for 'ghosty' 'magicy' type books. Though mixed in with the harsh reality of the Metropolitan Police it is told in a very clever, witty way.

There is quite an intricate plot with lots of twists throughout. I  found it was a rather original storyline in a category that's bursting with wizards an magic and what-knot *cough cough Harry Potter*

I also enjoyed the fact that it is a British based book because as fab as American authors are, I don't quite understand the lingo!
I also think the cover design is super cool and creative, you probably won't be able to tell but it's an old fashioned map of London and the red bits are the rivers leading up to the splash of blood and the title.
My favourite character in would have to be Toby ( a stubborn terrier ) for his sheer courage and determination.

I would definitely recommend this book as it is very fresh and different and hard to put down!

 As this is a young adult book, I think it would be appropriate for 16/17 years+

That concludes my review!

I hope you've enjoyed this post, I didn't want to give too much away in case any f you would like to read it! Let me know your book recommendations in the comments!

Until the next post, 

Niamh x


No comments:

Post a Comment

More Reading..